Tuesday, July 5, 2011

JERASH

 

HIGHLIGHT

Jerash is a city in Jordan which houses an 800,000 Sq. ft. field of Roman Ruins dating back as far as 3500 BC.  Pretty neat!  This was a highlight of the trip for Todd and I.  We weren’t expecting to see such an extensive amount of beautifully preserved ruins.

Another neat surprise was when we walked up to the theatre ruins- we found a girls school group just entering as well.  They were on a field trip.  We walked up just in time to hear a group of men with bagpipes started to play for the school children.  The most beautiful tune of Amazing Grace filled the surrounding area.  As I stood half way up the stadium and turned to overlook the valley-  I found myself in the right place at the right time.  It was one of those unique times when the universe comes together with all your senses.  I soaked in every drop.  After the song was over, (or maybe it was before- I don’t know- actually) The school girls put their arms on one another’s shoulders and freely danced in a small circle as teachers and tourists clapped in unison. 

It was interesting to me to see that the people in Jordan were just as cautious of us, as I see us being of them as a society as a whole.  When we walked through the small market area- it was apparent that the mothers had guarding eyes on their children and the men on the mothers. Guarding from us! WE were the unknown to them. This is not to be confused with unkindness. It was just cautious.  The men were friendly, the women quiet, and the children in awe. 

To be foreign is to be mysterious I guess.  Which to me would mean in context, that foreign is only a word we should use until we get to know the unknown, at which point the world becomes smaller in my eyes.  Less foreign.  Less scary.  More brotherly. 

JerashJerash Pillarsjerash pillars shot

 LindaLindaLinda  Linda

ToddToddToddToddToddToddToddLesaTomTomLesaTomChadTomTomJORDANIMG_2066Todd

Countryside heading down from Jerash, Jordan to the Dead Sea. 

ToddTomTodd

No comments:

Post a Comment